At Nitel, we have a smart, energetic and interesting group of people who make up our team. The unique set of experiences, skills and interests they each bring helps shape who we are as company. Strategic account manager Laura Owen started her sales career young, selling Blow Pops for a profit to other kids at school. From there she’s taken on many roles at different companies including executive staff, finance, sales and operations. We sat down with Laura to learn a little more about her.
- What are three words you would choose to describe yourself?
Energetic, motivated and persistent.
- And to describe working at Nitel?
Exciting, innovating and challenging status quo.
- What’s your proudest moment working at Nitel?
Seeing things that I’ve done to help my own personal work experience disseminated to the entire team for process change and improvement.
- What is most rewarding about your job?
Although I’m in “sales”, ultimately what’s most important to me is making sure that the customer’s business stays at the heart of everything we do. Remembering WHY we are here, how we serve the customer, and what part our role plays in the greater impact of their business.
- What is something you have learned while working at Nitel?
It takes a village.
- What advice would you give to someone starting their career in telecom?
If you come from another industry, don’t let that ever discourage you. People will have an opinion if you don’t come from telecom, or don’t come from the channel, and that’s okay – change it. Work hard, learn as much as you can, and remember at the end of the day, SALES is about CONNECTING.
- How do you define success?
If you are happy in ALL areas of your life, then that is success.
- Talk about something you’re passionate about outside of work.
I own a female-focused fitness studio where we focus on empowering people to go out and make the absolute most out of their life! We do not focus on diet or weight loss or anything like that. It’s about stepping into your power and being the most amazing version of YOU that there is!
- What’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to?
Prague, Czech Republic. My father was born here and escaped in 1965, so it was amazing to go back, see family, and learn more about the history of the country.
- If you were a Nitel service, which one would you be and why?
Managed Threat Detection – I swear, as a mom, 99% of my life is spent diverting potential issues. Or letting people know when they’ve opened the door for a problem to walk in.