At Nitel, we have a smart, energetic and interesting group of people who make up our team. The unique set of experiences, skills and interests they each bring helps shape who we are as company. Regional channel director Joe Bernotus brings 15 years of sales, 10 years of telecom and 2 years of channel experience to Nitel. We sat down with Joe to learn a little more about him.
- What are three words you would choose to describe yourself?
Bearded, caring and energetic.
- And to describe working at Nitel?
Team, family and innovative.
- What is most rewarding about your job?
Helping partners succeed, whether it’s the first deal or hitting a new sales threshold for a given year. Helping partners achieve their goals is where it’s at.
- What is something you have learned while working at Nitel?
That it’s possible for a company to actually care for their employees. Nitel has a team culture where everyone jumps in to help you, a partner, or customer, is the lifeblood of who we are as a company. The most important person is the person directly in front of you.
- What advice would you give to someone starting their career in telecom? Find a mentor, learn everything and keep asking questions. Establish a 10 year long-term game plan for yourself and work towards it.
- How do you define success?
By being the first person partners think to call with their problems. I strive to be someone others can rely on for recommendations for their business and clients.
- What’s your motto or personal mantra?
If you take care of people, they’ll take care of you.
- Talk about something you’re passionate about outside of work.
Aside from my family, my faith. Coming from a ministry background, my wife and I are actively involved in an organization called Adore Ministries that is focused on spreading the gospel through love of neighbor and reaching out to the marginalized. On a weekly basis we open up our home and back yard to build community and just love our neighbors, friends, and family. It’s our kids favorite time of the week.
- If you were a Nitel service, which one would you be and why?
With solutions like our ‘ethical hack’, you get to play the bad guy in order to find what threatens an organization, all the while being the good guy and saving them from such risks. In an age where our privacy and information is constantly being targeted, keeping our customers data safe and in turn their customers safe, we’re the navy seals of telecom.